Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPCOSteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I was diagnosed with PCOS due to blood work and a light and very infrequent period. Now since about Feb. I have had long lasting (sometimes three weeks) periods, that happen almost every three weeks with spotting in between. It has gotten so bad that a hematologist diagnosed me with iron deficiency anemia. But no one including my GP or Hematologist are worried, they just chalk it up to my weight (which as been this way for years) and PCOS. However, isn't PCOS suppose to cause infrequent light… read more

September 28, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A myPCOSteam Member

Hello, I too had the light periods and at time, very heavy periods. I felt happy to even had a period at that time. But then a doctor suggested birth control, that helped, but then I got headaches so bad, that I had them all the time. So I stopped taking the birth control. When you have PCOS, you feel like you take what you get and deal with the symptoms as they come along. It stinks but you learn to deal with it after a while. I was 19 years old and diagnosed with PCOS. Its been a long time since that diagnosis, and a lot has happened to me, but I'm grateful to have family, a good support system and great friends to listen to what is going on. Good luck to you and I hope you find what you need in life.

September 29, 2018
A myPCOSteam Member

I wouldn't be concerned about cancer unless you have had an abnormal pap smear recently. If you haven't had a pap, you should have one done with your obgyn in October. Taking iron for a period of time should take care of the anemia (I've had to do this) and the birth control will help regulate your period.

September 28, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Denton, TX

A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Northampton, MA

A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Australia

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In