Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPCOSteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Burlington, VT

Is there anything to help get rid of this super dark patches of skin? It drives me nuts.

October 28, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A myPCOSteam Member

I have hand pretty bad acanthosis nigrican for a few years. When I was diagnosed with PCOS my OBGYN said that metformin might help with it. I was prescribed it for that as well as my insulin resistance. In 8 months I didn't see a change. But since a dramatic diet and exercise plan change I have lost 29 lbs and in just 5 weeks my dark patches on my elbows, neck, and armpits have lightened dramatically - almost gone on my neck. I don't know what your sitatuation is but for me - it seems as though weightloss is what is helping. We will see what happens as I continue as it's still bad on my legs. I hope something will help you! I know it can be a super frustrating and embarrassing symptom :(

November 7, 2016
A myPCOSteam Member

I have heard taking metformin helps because it is sometimes caused by high blood sugar.

October 28, 2016
A myPCOSteam Member

@A myPCOSteam Member Thanks so much! Thats really encouraging! I am on Metformin and have been losing weight *finally* so its encouraging to here I might be on the right path! I've had it for as long as I can remember on the back of my neck and under arms. It doesnt bug me as much as it used to, but I still find it annoying

November 9, 2016
A myPCOSteam Member

I have been taking Metformin for around 2 years. I still have some dark patches of skin.

November 6, 2016
A myPCOSteam Member

Oh good! That will help!

October 30, 2016

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In