Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPCOSteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Royal Oak, MI

I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. My Endocrinologist want to try two perscriptions, either Saxenda (which she thinks would work best for me) or Contrave. I called my insurance to see if either would be covered and they said no. I feel defeted. I thought this i would finally have some releif or help. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to deal with insurance?

May 7, 2018
 · 
Be the first to react
A myPCOSteam Member

Saxenda has a sister medication that is prescribed to patients that are borderline diabetic/ pre-diabetic. My doctor says that in the event I cannot get Saxenda, she can prescribe the other for me (which has the exact same medicine in it) and the insurance would be dumb not to cover it. (I mean, diabetes is EXPENSIVE for an insurance company, so apparently if you scream pre-diabetic at them they'll approve anything)

So basically, she put in my chart that not only am I PCOS, but "Pre-diabetic" for insurance purposes. She was able to do this, because I have Type 1 PCOS, with insulin resistance, so I really could be pre-diabetic in the future, but I'm not now.

I look forward to seeing how it works if my insurance decides not to cover Saxenda.

Good luck with your future insurance battles, they're the worst.

September 17, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Newport News, VA

A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Hamilton, ON

A myPCOSteam Member asked a question 💭
Vermillion, SD

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In